the history of westPres

Westminster Presbyterian Church Burbank was incorporated with 62 charter members, on March 30, 1947, as part of the United Presbyterian Church U.S.A. Presbytery of Los Angeles. Westminster was pioneered through the efforts of a woman affectionately known as Mother Rich, who held Sunday school in her back yard. In the late 1940's a storefront on Olive Ave. was used for worship services. The current sanctuary, fellowship hall and classroom complex were dedicated on August 7, 1949.

The first called minister was Rev. James Landon Carter. He is remembered as an able preacher, buoyant spirit, and rather charismatic man. He left Westminster in 1950 to return to military chaplaincy. The interim minister who followed was Rev. Dr. Herman G. Klemme. He served until June 1952.

The land the present building stands on 544 N. Buena Vista St. was purchased in 1948 for $14,900.00 and the Sanctuary was constructed in 1949. Since much of the work was done by the congregation the building was built for $36,864.00. The architectural firm for the work was Orr, Strange and Inslee of Los Angeles.

In 1952 the building was expanded to meet the needs of the growing church. The two-story addition was built at the rear, increasing the size of the plant by about 3,000 feet, at a cost of $29,000. It was dedicated on October 25, 1953. In 1957 the adjoining property at 542 N. Buena Vista was purchased at a cost of $18,500.00, this became the church office.

The Rev. Robert Goodwin was the second called pastor in June of 1952 and served for 16 years, (1952 to August 1968). He was a hard worker who immersed himself in every aspect of the churches program. He communicated a pastoral heart which evidenced itself in deep concern for people. The church grew rapidly during the 1950's paralleling the rapid growth of the Burbank area. During this time the membership grew to 548, necessitating two services and two Sunday Schools. The interim minister who followed was Rev. Paul Louie who served from October 1968 to April 1969.

The Rev. Paul Messineo became Westminster’s third pastor on June 29, 1969. He served the church for seven years from 1969 to 1976. Rev. Messineo was a charismatic pastor who had a deep interest in history. During his time at West Pres the pipe organ was installed and dedicated on May 21, 1972. The sanctuary was remodeled. The preschool was begun in 1970 and the old manse was sold. The Interim Minister who followed was an Intern named Mr. Jack Irwin; he served for 13 months and then stayed on to assist Westminster’s next called pastor.

Rev. Greg Ogden was called to be Westminster’s fourth called pastor on April 1, 1977, he served seven years, from 1977 to 1984. During Rev. Ogden’s time he began using Interns from Fuller Theological Seminary to assist in the ministry and started a counseling ministry called C.A.R.E.  The present manse at 536 N. Buena Vista St was also purchased. The interim minister who followed was Rev. Russell J. Prentice, he served from September 1984 to July 1985.

Rev. Stew Drake was called to be the fifth pastor of Westminster in August 1985. He served for nine years from 1985 to 1994. During Stew’s time at West Pres, there was an increase of younger people attending the church, the manse was expanded and there was an increased focus on the Holy Spirit. The interim minister who followed was Rev. Steve Craig who served from 1994 to 1996.
 
Rev. Paul Clairville is the sixth and current pastor of Westminster. His first Sunday was February 11, 1996.  During his tenure, the church weathered the COVID19 pandemic, experiencing change but emerging healthy.  In 2020 the church added Rev. Adam Jones who became the first Associate Pastor of WestPres. He served until the fall of 2023.